2. Avoid eating proteins and starches together in a meal. Pair meats or starches with veggies.
3. Choose oatmeal or scrambled eggs over processed breakfast cereals, pastries or bagels.
4. Avoid low-fat foods, sugar-free foods, artificial sweeteners, and margarine.
5. Drink water instead of soda, sports drinks, flavored waters or energy drinks.
6. Prepare dinners at home. Look for time savers like pre-cut veggies, marinated meats and bagged salads.
7. Eat fruit alone on an empty stomach—never for dessert as it can ferment and cause gas.